Types of applications
The Ombudsman has no powers of “own motion” investigation. This means that she cannot use her powers without being asked to use them.
If a current or former Service person would like the Ombudsman to use her powers, they need to:
- Fill out an application form stating what they want the Ombudsman to do and why;
- Complete the consent section of the form to show that they agree to what we can do with the information provided; and
- Send the completed application form, and any other documents asked for in the form, to us by email or post.
Once we receive the application you will receive an acknowledgement within 2 working days. If you haven’t heard anything after that time please contact our Enquiries and Referrals Team on 020 7877 3450 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that if you are sending your application by email the system cannot accept emails larger than 20MB. Emails that exceed the size limit will be blocked by our email system.
Even though you can access our forms on smartphones and tablets, you will need to have a compatible smart phone app to amend and submit the form. E.g. Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free.
We have 4 different application forms. Each form covers one of the Ombudsman’s specific functions.
Click on the links to find out more about each type of application.
- Download the file: What can the Ombudsman do for me? (78 KB)
- Download the file: All about Ombudsman referrals (78 KB)
- Download the file: What redress can the Ombudsman recommend? (78 KB)
- Download the file: What can the Ombudsman do for respondents to a Service complaint? (78 KB)
- Download the file: Where can I get welfare support during a Service complaint (103 KB)