Are you unhappy with our service?

Complaints about our service

We always aim to deliver a high quality service and ensure every individual is treated fairly and in line with our processes. But if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we provide, please inform us straightaway so can we do our best to resolve it.

For example, if you think we have:

  • treated you unfairly or rudely
  • failed to explain things clearly or listened to your concerns properly
  • caused unreasonable delays
  • not kept you updated on the progress of your application or investigation

You have the following options:

Make an informal complaint  

You can raise your concerns directly with the member of staff you have been dealing with. This gives you the opportunity to discuss the issue and see if it can be resolved informally.

Make a formal complaint

If you do not wish to raise your concerns informally, or feel it would not be appropriate to use the informal process, you can make a formal complaint.

Your complaint will never be handled by the member of staff you are complaining about. A senior member of staff will deal with your complaint. This will usually be the Chief of Operations or Head of Staff – depending on who your complaint is about.

We will send you an acknowledgement within 2 working days but we aim to provide a full response within 20 working days. If we are unable to provide you with a response within this time, we will let you know.

To make a formal complaint you should complete the enquiry form below. You will need to select the option ‘complain about a member of SCOAF staff’.

Alternatively, you can make a complaint in writing and send it to the following address:


FAO Head of Staff, Service Delivery Complaint, SCOAF, PO Box 72252, London SW1P 9ZZ

Complaints about our decisions

All decisions made by the Ombudsman are final and binding. This means that you cannot appeal the decision or submit a further application on the same grounds.

If you are unhappy with the decision, the only way to challenge this is by making an application for Judicial Review. If you do decide to pursue this route you should do this within 3 months of receiving your final report. 

This is a costly legal process. You should seek legal advice before making an application for Judicial Review. 

Related Links

Feedback on our Service

We welcome your views and use the feedback received to improve the service we deliver. Click below to provide feedback on our Operations Team:

Read our privacy policy to find out what we do with the information you provide.

Please note: Our electronic surveys link to the smart survey website which may contain cookies. You are advised to read their privacy and cookie policy.